URN Logo
announcement The content of this page is collected from Linux Forum, All copyrights and other associated rights are reserved by the original authors of the articles.
Resources
China Linux Forum(finished)
Linux Forum(finished)
FreeBSD China(finished)
linuxforum.com
  LinuxForum General Chat
  Linux Advocacy
  LinuxForum Polls
  Introductions
  Linux Kernel Support
  Patch Management
  Development Release
  Linux Programming
  Linux Security
  Linux Software
  Linux Hardware Problems
    Linux Video Problems
    Linux Sound Problems
  Linux Networking Support
  Linux Printing Support
  Linux Human Interface Devices Support
  Linux Data Storage Support
  Linux Applications Support
  Linux Installation Support
  Linux Laptops Support
  Linux Motherboard, Chipsets, CPU, Memory
  Miscellaneous
  Debian Linux Support
  Ubuntu Linux Support
  LiveCD Discussions
  Gentoo Linux Support
  Mandrake Linux Support
  Redhat / Fedora Linux Support
  Slackware Linux Support
  SuSE Linux Support
  CentOS Linux Support
  Linux Web Servers
  Linux DNS Servers
  Linux Database Servers
  Linux Email Servers
  Linux FTP Servers
  Linux Squid Proxy Server
  Linux Samba Help
  Linux cPanel Help
  Linux Ensim Help
  Linux Plesk Help
  Linux Webmin / Usermin Help
  Qmail Toaster Help
  Linux Games
  Windows Game Emulation
  Linux Discussions
  General Linux Discussions
  Red Hat Linux Discussions
  More Red Hat Linux Discussions
  Mandrake Linux Discussions
  Slackware Linux Discussions
  SuSE Linux Discussions
  Debian Discussions
  Samba Help
  Linux Security
  Linux Networking
  Gentoo Help
  Operating System Rant Forum
  Hardware Rants

Pine Installation Problem.
Subject: Pine Installation Problem.
Author: SevenGreenSocks    Posted: 2004-06-17 04:30:11    Length: 726 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I'm fairly new to Linux, and am currently trying to install pine.
On first attempt it had failed dependencies for
libcrypto.so.4
libssl.so.4
Which I found were provided by the openssl package.
I have installed openssl-0.9.7a-35.1.src.rpm, and when querying it
with rpm it is definately installed.
However, pine is still bringing up the same dependency errors.
I am running redhat 8.0 with kernel version 2.4.18-14.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of some resources that
would be good, or if you could let me know in which particular way i'm
managing to be a complete dunce about this, that would be fantastic!

Diz

[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: french_matt    Posted: 2004-06-17 05:15:56    Length: 320 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
try to do

CODE

locate libcrypto.so.4
locate libssl.so.4

and then tell me about the result ...

----
ciao ciao
Matt from Paris
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: SevenGreenSocks    Posted: 2004-06-17 07:07:35    Length: 525 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Thanks for your help Matt,

Absolutely nothing back from attempting to locate the files even after rebuilding the locate db, so I got rpm to list what files it *did* install, and have found two similar files - libcrypto.so.0.9.6b and libssl.so.0.9.6b both in /lib

So it looks like I've somehow manged to install an incorrect earlier version..
I'll have a scout around and see if I can find another source for openssl.

Diz
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: french_matt    Posted: 2004-06-17 08:06:49    Length: 379 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
if I can help U ... tell me

 cool.gif  cool.gif
----
ciao ciao
Matt from Paris
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: SevenGreenSocks    Posted: 2004-06-17 08:23:31    Length: 460 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Found a version with the correct two files, but I'm having terrible trouble installing/upgrading it as it clashes with the previous versions - to complicate things further I appear to have libcrypto.so.2 and libssl.so.2 files as well as the previously mentioned files. Which various programs need.. *sigh*

I'm going to have a good read into RPM and openssl and come back tonight or tomorrow if i'm still lacking understanding!
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: french_matt    Posted: 2004-06-17 09:29:58    Length: 825 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
do U have remove the old version ...?

In order to remove it, do a

CODE

rpm -e openssl-0.9.7a-35.1.src.rpm

to be sure U have remove the old version do a
CODE

find / -name '*openssl*' -print

and delete all the files ...

ok see U soon ... cool.gif
----
ciao ciao
Matt from Paris
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: SevenGreenSocks    Posted: 2004-06-18 02:57:51    Length: 913 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Thanks again for your help, you're very patient.
I have removed the package.
There are no library files or configuration files left relating to the 0.9.7a-35.1.src package. There are some other files left but they are all either in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/  and have filenames that end mostly in .patch or in /usr/share/doc and are html files so I'm guessing I don't need to delete these files?
I queried libcrypto.so.2 last night, and it is not owned by any package.
However I do still have a version of openssl installed (0.9.6b) this must have been preconfigured as I didn't install it myself.
When trying to upgrade to the openssl-0.9.7a-38.i386.rpm I have a stream of notifications that mostly everything depends upon libcrypto.so.2 and libssl.so.2.
Should I force it to install, ignoring the dependencies or will this result in a broken mess..?

[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: french_matt    Posted: 2004-06-18 04:06:31    Length: 897 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
hi ...

U right U don't need to delete these files ...
but don't force it to install if some dependencies are requeried...
I think it's very strange ...

I'm not a fan of rpm package ... did U try to install it with .tar.gz package Huh?

I give U the URL

http://www.openssl.org/source/

and take the last version ...  openssl-0.9.7d.tar.gz

do a

tar -xvzf  openssl-0.9.7d.tar.gz

then

cd  openssl-0.9.7d
and U probably have to do a
./configure --prefix=/where/you/want/to/install/it

and
make
make install

to verify ...
make test

tell me about ...
----
ciao ciao
Matt from Paris
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: SevenGreenSocks    Posted: 2004-06-18 06:10:56    Length: 1,340 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I've installed it, but still had no libcrypto.so.4 or libssl.so.4

I've read that the libcrypto.so.2 and libssl.so.2 files are simply sym links to the 0.9.6b, so tried making two sym links with the .so.4 on the end and pointing them to the 0.9.6b version.
Pine still says it needs libcrypto.so.4 etc even now they are there.

Also on the openssl site there is a note regarding redhat in the FAQ:
"Red Hat Linux (release 7.0 and later) include a preinstalled limited version of OpenSSL.... ensure that you do not overwrite the openssl that is in /usr/bin on your Red Hat machine. Several packages depend on this file... due to the way Red Hat supplies its packages, updates to openssl on each distribution never change the package version, only the build number. For example, on Red Hat 7.1, the latest openssl package has version number 0.9.6 and build number 9 even though it contains all the relevant updates in packages up to and including 0.9.6b..."

And to round off my total confusion, just touching back on RPM, all the openssl packages that provide llibcrpto.so.4 also require libcrypto.so.4 - so I really dont understand how on earth you are supposed to obtain it.. *sigh*

Thanks for all your help, but I think I'll learn to live without pine.
[Original] [Print] [Top]