URN Logo
announcement The content of this page is collected from Linux Forum, All copyrights and other associated rights are reserved by the original authors of the articles.
Resources
China Linux Forum(finished)
Linux Forum(finished)
FreeBSD China(finished)
linuxforum.com
  LinuxForum General Chat
  Linux Advocacy
  LinuxForum Polls
  Introductions
  Linux Kernel Support
  Patch Management
  Development Release
  Linux Programming
  Linux Security
  Linux Software
  Linux Hardware Problems
    Linux Video Problems
    Linux Sound Problems
  Linux Networking Support
  Linux Printing Support
  Linux Human Interface Devices Support
  Linux Data Storage Support
  Linux Applications Support
  Linux Installation Support
  Linux Laptops Support
  Linux Motherboard, Chipsets, CPU, Memory
  Miscellaneous
  Debian Linux Support
  Ubuntu Linux Support
  LiveCD Discussions
  Gentoo Linux Support
  Mandrake Linux Support
  Redhat / Fedora Linux Support
  Slackware Linux Support
  SuSE Linux Support
  CentOS Linux Support
  Linux Web Servers
  Linux DNS Servers
  Linux Database Servers
  Linux Email Servers
  Linux FTP Servers
  Linux Squid Proxy Server
  Linux Samba Help
  Linux cPanel Help
  Linux Ensim Help
  Linux Plesk Help
  Linux Webmin / Usermin Help
  Qmail Toaster Help
  Linux Games
  Windows Game Emulation
  Linux Discussions
  General Linux Discussions
  Red Hat Linux Discussions
  More Red Hat Linux Discussions
  Mandrake Linux Discussions
  Slackware Linux Discussions
  SuSE Linux Discussions
  Debian Discussions
  Samba Help
  Linux Security
  Linux Networking
  Gentoo Help
  Operating System Rant Forum
  Hardware Rants

How is Lindows
Subject: How is Lindows
Author: evil_winnie    Posted: 2003-10-22 20:58:30    Length: 86 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
How is Lindows?
is it good?
Compared to Red Hat..

THNX
-Roy
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Maxamillion    Posted: 2003-10-22 23:06:47    Length: 1,241 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
i would personally use RedHat over Lindows, Lindows is user-friendly yes ... probably more so than Windows, but the next thing concidered is the fact that it costs $100 and isn't actually a REAL Linux Distribution ... yes it is technically linux, but explain to me how you are gonna run a solid LINUX distro on a NON-LINUX partition ... just doesn't make sense to me ... anyways, RedHat or SuSE are probably best bet for "easy to use" or "first time linux user" linux distrobutions ... they are RPM based and installation of programs are easy, but you are still allowed to configure everything you want ... i find that RedHat 9 (maybe even 10, but i dunno because i haven't tried it) is a good place to start with linux, but make sure that even if you do a GUI install, go ahead and do a text based login/boot so you get used to the linux command line .... SuSE is also good just from reviews i've read, i haven't touched a SuSE release in over a year so i dunno personally what they have to offer ...... just my opinion  smile.gif
----
-=:Max:=-

http://www.debian.org - Live by it
http://java.sun.com/ - Code by it
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Puma    Posted: 2003-10-23 09:02:58    Length: 365 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Lindows is a reasonable step if you really need to run a lot of Windows software.  It does bug me that it doesn't un on a linux partition, but then again it is designed as a distro for Windows users.  So if you don't know if you want to run Linux or not, Lindows is a decent approach, but if you are fed up with Windows, best pick another distro.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: hellfish    Posted: 2003-10-23 09:57:39    Length: 257 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Additional what is said already,
lindows doesnt really have support for windows software, it just uses a version of wine, which you can download everywhere, which is accessable for linux, too.
Use RedHat or an-other distribution.

----
--

please do correct all my mistakes ( grammar, style...) , i am not living in an english
speaking country. thanks.
Author: Maxamillion    Posted: 2003-10-23 11:24:19    Length: 565 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Puma has a good point, if you are scepticle about moving over to Linux and are comming right from Windows, Lindows is a good step in the right direction, but i think it's too costly and once you eventually do come around to the conclusion that you want Linux on your machine, you will switch to a different distro and stepping from Lindows you will want SuSE or RedHat and then later on you will want Slackware, Debian, or even possibly Gentoo (i don't recommend Gentoo until you have been on Slackware or Debian for atleast 6 months and really KNOW linux)
----

Author: rid0617    Posted: 2003-11-18 06:50:18    Length: 725 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I am 51 and slightly learning disabled due to a minor stroke.  I was fed up with windblows but knew I could not understand actual linux.

I have been using Lindows 4.0 and fondly call it linux for dummies.  So far, very satisfied with it except for streaming video abilities.  As I get more familiar with linux terms I will migrate into another form of Linux.  Cost of operating system is now $49 and I figured where else could I get an operating system and a linux education for that amount of money.

It does have the usual linux difficulties for hardware compatability but would be willing to send you parts list for the machine I built (under $250) to save you guessing.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: dhrivnak    Posted: 2003-11-19 10:17:10    Length: 418 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I've never used Lindows, but I have read multiple sources that say it is quite buggy.  This may or may not be true.  I can tell you that RedHat/Fedora are both VERY user-friendly, to the point that I actually don't like them (I like a challenge).  So for beginners, I definitely would reccomend one of the previously mentioned (I hear good things about SuSE as well).  Hope that helps!
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: BluEyedGuy    Posted: 2003-11-19 19:04:30    Length: 189 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I saw a screenshot for Lindows 4.0 and was interested myself. I am thinking about buying the 200 dollars machine from Wal-Mart. I mean, why not have a cheap 2nd machine to screw around on?
----
For Every Broken Rule, There Is A Broken Ruler
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Mr_tux    Posted: 2003-11-20 20:52:17    Length: 1,973 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
QUOTE (Maxamillion @ Oct 22 2003, 11:06 PM)
[...]

 I'm running SuSE 9.0 and it works pretty well.  Just as good as Red Hat.  Also it's a United Linux distribution so I've had much more success compiling and installing programs from source with it.  The only downside is the extremely limited library of RPMS available for it and the lack of good sites for apt-get.  I was using apt-get in Red Hat and I wanted to start  humping my computer right then and there it was so awesome.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: Lunchbox    Posted: 2003-11-21 10:13:29    Length: 522 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
I just purchased Lindows, and I have already requested a refund.

I have never seen an Operating System with so many security issues, holes, and forgotten drivers.  (Yeah, it's worse than Microsoft)

If you ask me, Lindows has never left Beta... and probably never will.

But... thats just my 2 cents.... dry.gif
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: arvindt    Posted: 2003-11-21 10:16:09    Length: 382 byte(s)
[Original] [Print] [Top]
QUOTE
yes it is technically linux, but explain to me how you are gonna run a solid LINUX distro on a NON-LINUX partition

Lindows uses Reiserfs, which is very much a Linux filesystem.
----
Microsoft is a great hardware company.
[Original] [Print] [Top]
Author: anonx    Posted: 2003-11-21 12:05:35    Length: 253 byte(s)